Re: Partitioning Mac drives

On 05/02/2014 03:16 PM, Finn Thain wrote:
> I use MacOS 7.5.3 because it is lighter and runs well on every Mac that
> Linux/m68k runs on. Also, the Penguin docs recommend MacOS 7.5.

Hmm, ok. But 8.1 runs very smooth so far, the disk is just not bootable
anymore after using gparted.

> MacOS 8 was intended for PowerMacs. MacOS 8.1 brings one advantage: you
> can read/write HFS Plus filesystems. This would be an advantage if you
> installed Linux with an HFS Plus /boot filesystem because Penguin (which
> of course runs under MacOS) can then read the Linux kernel image directly
> from the Linux /boot partition. (ISTR Linux cannot write to an HFS
> filesystem, but it will read/write to HFS Plus.)

Ok. I liked the more modern interface though :).

> But if you end up using Emile instead of Penguin, hopefully you won't need
> your kernels on an HFS partition, because you can then avoid Penguin and
> therefore avoid MacOS.

Haven't tried Emile so far. I wouldn't yet know how to install it. I
just wanted to get the Mac boot into Debian for some tests first.

> If, having booted into MacOS (e.g. from CDROM), you find that the HFS
> partitions are no longer visible in Finder then you have a different
> problem.

No, the partitions never showed up in MacOS again. In fact, I couldn't
even select the disk in Hard Disk Toolkit anymore to erase or
repartition it, very strange. I assume I will have to completely
erase the disk for the Mac to recognize it again.

>> Anyone has any idea what could have happened? Did the additional
>> partitioning mess up the partition table or
>
> Are the partitions visible in the MacOS partition tools? If no partitions
> show up in Disk Utility, then I'd say gparted may have changed the
> partition map format from Apple Partition Map to DOS.

Crawling through the logs on my Debian desktop where I connected the
drive, this was the partition layout directly after attaching the
disk for the first time:

May  2 13:25:57 z6 kernel: [1993556.470074]  sdg: [mac] sdg1 sdg2 sdg3 sdg4

Interestingly, gparted only displayed three partitions, sdg3 being
the HFS partition and sdg1 and sdf2 being unknown partition types. Any
idea what these could be? Are those created by the MacOS disk utility
to install the filesystem driver?

After adding three additional partitions (ext4, swap, btrfs), gparted
showed a total number of 6 partitions while the kernel recognized
8 partitions on re-attaching the disk:

May  2 13:32:04 z6 kernel: [1993922.977602]  sdg: [mac] sdg1 sdg2 sdg3
sdg4 sdg5 sdg6 sdg7 sdg8

After running gparted once, /proc/partitions shows the same partitions
as gparted. So something seems somewhere off.

>> is HFS support in the Linux kernel broken?
>
> Not AFAIK. But if you create the MacOS filesystem under Linux, you will
> need an HFS filesystem (not HFS Plus) for a m68k Mac to boot from it:

So, doing the full partitioning on Linux should work in principle,
shouldn't it? I remember having similar problems with gparted and
Amiga disks where partitions created on Linux with gparted were
not shown in AmigaOS until the partition type was set to a specific
value. There weren't even shown as "NON-DOS". However, once using
the proper options in gparted, I could do all Amiga partitioning
on Linux with gparted before putting the disk back into my Amiga.

I will try to partition another disk with gparted on the PC, then
see if the Mac recognizes it. If it doesn't, I will file a bug
report against libparted with detailed debug information providing
dumps of the disk partitioned on MacOS as well as with gparted.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz