Re: Merging the xsurf100 driver into the mainline kernel

Hi Adrian,

On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 11:08 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 11:04 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> That's not the way it works. According to the process, patches should be
>> submitted for review to netdev@vger.kernel.org (with a CC to linux-m68k,
>> please).
>
> Yes, I know that the proper way of getting things into the kernel is to
> submit patches to the mailing list. However, I was hoping that someone
> with more experience than me could do the job.

I think Michael should do that, if possible.

> If not, I can give it a shot myself and submit the patches. However,
> currently the driver doesn't work with Kernel 3.13:
>
> [425621.050000] ax88796: Unknown symbol alloc_mdio_bitbang (err 0)
> [425621.070000] ax88796: Unknown symbol free_mdio_bitbang (err 0)
>
> Any idea where to look first?

drivers/net/ethernet/8390/Kconfig:

config AX88796
        tristate "ASIX AX88796 NE2000 clone support"
        depends on (ARM || MIPS || SUPERH)
        select CRC32
        select PHYLIB
        select MDIO_BITBANG

I guess your kernel .config doesn't have PHYLIB nor/nand MDIO_BITBANG?

Ah, the troubles of building stand-alone driver modules...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds