Re: Improving Performance

Geert,

Does the hack below (not even compile-tested) work? It maps pool_size
(default 1 MiB) of ST-RAM and makes the pool use that.

Sort of - boots with kernel in ST-RAM, but nothing shown on the screen. SCSI appears to allocate DMA-able memory though:

Turns out the test for kernel in ST-RAM is faulty. I'll have to find a better test,

Checking for the first memory chunk address to be located at 0x0 works (the bootloader will place the chunk with the kernel loaded in to first).

The problem is - it dies when calling ioremap:

               stram_virt_offset = ioremap(stram_pool.start,
resource_size(&stram_pool) - stram_pool.start);

I guess the FastRAM chunk is mapped at virtual address 0, and ST-RAM is unmapped?

Cheers,

   Michael

atafb_init: start
atafb_init: initializing Falcon hw
atafb: screen_base 007f4000 real_screen_base 007f4000 screen_len 69632
Determined 640x400, depth 1
  virtual 640x870
Console: switching to mono frame buffer device 80x25
fb0: frame buffer device, using 68K of video memory

That's just the same behaviour as before, when the kernel was loaded to FastRAM.

Cheers,