Re: Linux/m68k config again

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Finn Thain dixit:
>
> >CONFIG_EARLY_CONSOLE got disabled by default because I changed the
> >default. I had mistakenly assumed that the new mainline default would
> >get over-ridden in Debian kernel configs.
>
> Ah, okay. No, Debian reduces the kernel configs actually shipped to the
> delta one needs against the default upstream config, so that we pick up
> mainline changes automatically in most cases. This is deliberate on the
> Debian side, and IMHO upstream defaults should be somewhat sane too...

Above I was referring only to the Kconfig default, which is
!CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK. At the moment, CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK only applies to
MVME16x || MAC but I'd like to see it adopted by other platforms.

The settings I recommended are sane for Debian's purposes and once the
macros in use in arch/m68k/kernel/head.S also become more sane, I'm
optimistic that those settings I recommended will remain valid and useful
downstream.

What is sane upstream is a question of whether or not CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK
gets embraced by other platforms or not (since upstream users are unlikely
to boot multi-platform kernels).

> >CONFIG_EARLY_CONSOLE=n makes it difficult to help Debian users (for
> >example the boot failure due to lack of FPU emulation was diagnosed
> >using the early console and the issue with '030 futuex support was
> >mis-diagnosed due to lack of the early console).
>
> Indeed. But this is not just true for Debian users, right?

> Why don't you change these upstream? That's easier for all of us

OK. Does Debian's kernel config derive from
arch/m68k/configs/multi_defconfig or from the Kconfig defaults?

> Enabling these four is safe even on a non-Macintosh, then?

I'm pretty sure that's how you configured your 3.10 and earlier kernels
(I'd check but I can't find debs to download...)

Finn