Re: Partitioning Atari Falcon in order to run linux/m68k

Michael Schmitz dixit:

> IDE disks on Falcon are quirky in that the IDE bus interface is little endian
> by definition, but has been implemented in big endian bus byte order on Falcon.
> Data written to disk will end up byte swapped. Reading these disks on any other
> architecture requires that data be swapped back.

Is this true? I had the swapped data on a CF card first (since ARAnyM
likes to swap them by default) but had to unswap them. I don’t remember
if that was a Falcon or TT, though… Ragnar would know I think.

> In the old days, the Linux IDE driver used to have a 'swap' option for just

Wasn’t that just for ext2fs internal data structures (read: fs metadata)
with data being written properly? This got, indeed, removed, but you do
not need that any more either.

>> All my efforts to boot linux ended in kernel panic: no init found.
>
> Looks as though there's nothing installed on the partition you are trying to

Or forgot the ‘p’ flag to tar, or used the wrong root= option (there’s
hda, nfhd8p, sda at least), or did not use an initrd with kernel >= 3.8
or something.

There’s a ready-made ext2fs image in the same directory where I put
the tarball.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
  “Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having
          a peeing section in a swimming pool.”