Re: Partitioning Atari Falcon in order to run linux/m68k

Stefan,

i am trying to install linux on my Atari Falcon.

My first partition should be BGM/FAT, so TOS can run.
The second one is ext2 filesystem, for the unix stuff of MiNT.
I have a third partition, also ext2 for programs and data i use from MiNT.
The fourth i want to use for linux root (which the linux kernel mounts
as /dev/hda4)

Make sure the BGM/FAT partition is less or equal 128 MB in size - the logical sector size may not exceed the kernel page size of 4k.

Is it possible to make this partition scheme with HD Driver under TOS?

That's about the only way I know of.

Someone on #debian-68k told me to put the drive into a PC and use
linux / parted. But my PC is not able to recognize the Atari partiton
table.

IDE disks on Falcon are quirky in that the IDE bus interface is little endian by definition, but has been implemented in big endian bus byte order on Falcon. Data written to disk will end up byte swapped. Reading these disks on any other architecture requires that data be swapped back.

In the old days, the Linux IDE driver used to have a 'swap' option for just that purpose. There was a 2.6 patch to implement byte swapping in the device mapper (https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/bart/dm-byteswap-2.6.4- rc1.patch) but I've found no trace of it in these days' kernels. I doubt this patch will still apply.

Without byte swappping by device mapper, using ARAnyM might be the easiest option:

Get the disk partitioned under TOS, then use ARAnyM on a PC to mount your partition and bootstrap a Debian system on to the mounted partition (use ByteSwap=no, Path=/dev/sdb or Path=/dev/hdb to get ARAnyM to mount your Falcon disk attached as disk sdb or hdb - make sure you calculate the correct number of logical cylinders from the disk size). It may be necessary to use the nfhdXXX devices instead of the hdXXX ones depending on your version of ARAnyM.

All my efforts to boot linux ended in kernel panic: no init found.

Looks as though there's nothing installed on the partition you are trying to boot. Is there another error message stating the requested partition cannot be mounted, perhaps?

Cheers,

	Michael

Any help is appreciated.

My machine has 526 MB RAM, and an 68060 with 100 MHz. HD is 80GB large.

Greetings,
Stefan