Re: Any need for 68k Mac hardware?

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013, Joel Ewy wrote:

> I've got a lot of 68K Mac hardware and I'm going to be thinning the
> antique computer herd a bit.  I have run Debian/m68k Potato and Sarge on
> some of these machines and would love to see the port come back to life.
> I can't contribute much to the effort at this point, but I would be
> willing to donate some hardware if it would be of value, and if shipping
> can be arranged.
>
> I would still like to hang on to my Q840av's and Q660av, and a couple
> Quadra 700s, but I could probably let go of one or two other Q700s, a
> couple Mac II ci systems, a Centris 650, a Performa 600, one or more
> Performa 63xes, and assorted others.
>
> I would be particularly interested in helping EMILE development if a
> machine I have could be of any use there.  It's been a while since I
> played with it, but I think the Centris 650 has a fair amount of RAM
> (for a 68K Mac).

All of those machine should accept >=128 MB. Some of the Performa 6XX
series machines have two 72-pin RAM slots, which makes 192MB possible (has
been done before).

The problem with Performa/Centris models is that some of them have 68LC040
processors. But the CPU is socketed, so the upgrade is not difficult.
Apart from that issue, Linux should run on any of the machines you
mentioned.

The Performa 6XX series has an internal IDE drive, which may be easier to
source than SCSI. (They also have an ESP SCSI controller and SCSI CD-ROM.)

> Shipping would be from Kansas, U.S.

I don't have space for more hardware. Thanks anyway.

Finn