Re: Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> >> giving X a try for fun. icewm was almost usable under the old setup,
> >> and you could sort of browse with Firefox.
>
> At least for Atari, we do not have any working X server. IceWM works
> very well on a tightvncserver or vnc4server, even kde-plasma-desktop is
> usable until you start KDEPIM (which is even dead slow on x86, believe
> me, we've got to use that at $dayjob), though that's on an 150-MHz VM.

X11 worked on macs back when I was testing etch-m68k. The pixel formats
are not the weird ones found on ataris. The only Xorg driver available is
fbdev.

The macfb driver isn't yet able to do mode switching, so console and X11
will be stuck with whatever video mode that MacOS was using when Linux was
booted.

If you have one of the late-model quadra/lc/performa models with the
valkyrie video chip then the valkyriefb driver will load instead of macfb.
It does do mode switching.

Finn