Re: linux 3.8.12-1 (atari flavour) does not boot

Ben Hutchings dixit:

>As m68k is not a release architecture, I don't care much what goes
>in debian/config/m68k (well, it had better not break gencontrol.py).
>Whatever the m68k porters come up with is fine.

OK, thanks. I’d kinda like to have it somewhat in sync with
the rest of Debian of course, so people who can do informed
decisions should do it.

>If there is an initramfs-supporting bootloader for Atari now, you
>could drop a whole lot of built-in stuff.  But let me guess, does

The problem here is that you normally do not have access to
“where the kernel is” from the booted Linux system, or need
to go through extra hoops. From my experience in running an
x86 Debian system, the initrd is regenerated very often and
system-specific; kernel images are pretty static and share‐
able as a contrast.

ARAnyM and ataboot can both load initrds. No idea about
other loaders or the other flavours. Also, supposedly,
you can make an installed system “bootable”¹, but I’ve
not yet seen it (I deal mostly with package compilation
and related bugfixes, in VMs, thus not with the out-of-
Linux environment).

① Kinda like lilo or grub with blocklists, from what I heard.

I had an idea to make a “pretty static” initrd which would
then contain a set of tools to load the real kernel and
initrd from ext4fs (or whatever) and kexec it, but that
would need someone to port kexec to m68k first.

>that 4 MB limit include the initramfs too?

That is very likely.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
22:20⎜<asarch> The crazy that persists in his craziness becomes a master
22:21⎜<asarch> And the distance between the craziness and geniality is