Re: Mac-only binary, was Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On 11/19/2013 5:53 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
On Mon, 18 Nov 2013, Scott Holder wrote:

This booted great for me. It might just be placebo effect but I feel
like it booted a fair bit faster than the last one. Modules seem great
too. This actually let me get about half a second of working mouse in X
before it froze up or something. Still investigating that, but it's
progress!
That's good news. Thanks for the test report.

If you are getting lock ups testing Xorg, you may want to enable the zap
key sequence to kill the xserver (in case you didn't already...)

It looks like it may be a little more serious than that. I'm getting a couple different failure modes. The first one seemed to be live-counting up some kind of events, terminating the server with:

XIO: fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0"

Other times I get errors like http://pastebin.com/BvYBJpHr .

And then often I'll restart it and it'll work just fine (for certain values of fine, given it's a 33mhz 68040!) for a good long while before randomly dying with no error messages, often during times of high CPU usage combined with ADB input.

Also seems to be having trouble drawing widgets and such with fvwm, not sure what's up with it. Even at 15-bit it still doesn't draw right. I wonder if it's a 16 bit/15 bit issue since I believe what Mac calls "Thousands" of colors in Mac OS is technically 15 bit. Sadly this box doesn't have the VRAM to do Millions of colors at any res my monitor will do.

Incidentally, I discovered the unused strip at the bottom that contains the old Mac OS wallpaper is left over from Action GoMac, a Windowsish taskbar for Mac. I guess it must hook the video driver in some way that Penguin doesn't handle well when killing everything to reboot.

Scott.