Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III

On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Patrick McCarthy <patrickjmc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Inspired by Scott ("Getting the ol' Macintosh LC475 modernized") I pulled my
> LC III out of the closet and tried to follow along to get up to date. I
> untarred Thorsten's filesystem to /, got the initrd from
> http://zigo.mirbsd.org:8080/t/initrd.img-3.10-2-m68k and the kernel from
> http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/f/vmlinux-3.10-2-m68k.gz, and since Penguin said
> it didn't have enough memory (I have 36mb total) I put the files on disk and
> booted an emile floppy which was able to load. The boot hung early, however,
> and sat here for over an hour:
>
> http://imgur.com/sUirUFC

The last line is about disabling the boot console, long before macfb is
initialized, so there's a "black hole" in between.

Can you try to add "keep_bootcon" to the kernel command line? That
should keep the boot console alive. It may conflict later with e.g. macfb
and the freeing of init memory, and crash horribly there, but it may give
some valuable information about what happens during the "black hole".

Thanks!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds