Re: Buying RAM expansion from project money

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@2013.bluespice.org> wrote:
> On 2013-11-04 12:02, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>>> FYI, I've sent an email to Jens.
>>
>> And he replied that RMW bus cycles are not supported. Oops.
>> So we have to make sure no page tables are stored on BigRamPlus, i.e.
>> allocations from pte_alloc_one() and pte_alloc_one_kernel() are done from
>> "main" memory.
>
> Can the MMU handle this, maybe?

I discussed a bit more with Jens, and he's not worried at all, as no
accelerator card implements RMW bus cycles. So it should just work, like
with all other memory we're running Linux in now.

So, let's try?

>> If everything fails, we can still use swap on mtdblock.
>
> Never worked with mtdblock devices knowingly. How would this be handled
> then?

Like swap on z2ram: we get a fast 256 MiB block device to use as the highest
priority swap device.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds