Re: Linux kernel 3.12-0-rc4 on Akire running

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@2013.bluespice.org> wrote:
> [    0.000000] WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 0 at kernel/printk/printk.c:2233 register_console+0x36/0x2b6()
> [    0.000000] console 'debug0' already registered

> [    0.000000] Kernel command line: root=/dev/sdb4 rw video=pal-lace devtmpfs.mount=1 debug=ser debug=mem

> I'm unsure about the kernel ooops at the beginning whether it comes from
> devtmpfs.mount=1 or not, but so far Akire booted and runs fine the last 20
> minutes.

"debug=ser" and "debug=mem" share the same struct console.

"debug=ser" does:

        amiga_console_driver.write = amiga_serial_console_write;
        register_console(&amiga_console_driver);

"debug=mem" does:

        amiga_console_driver.write = amiga_mem_console_write;
        register_console(&amiga_console_driver);

and then the core console code complains it's registered twice, so
it ignores the second one. Hence it's harmless (but the second one won't
work).

This is a relic from the old days, when we supported only one debug console.
Each debug console should use its own struct console.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds