Re: SDL, VNC and ARAnyM

Hi,

On 14 August 2013 06:03, Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:
Michael Farrell dixit:
>scancodes that correspond to the ASCII value of that letter, as VNC does
>not pass layout information.

VNC cannot pass any information it doesn’t have – there *is* no
layout information

That's true, and I'm aware of that.

Because of the only application I was targeting that would require input was Origyn, I only implemented enough to make it be able to read letters from my keyboard.  As a result, the scancodes that are passed to SDL are not like any other keyboard.

This is somewhat bad… I guess I’ll need to have a look into how
VNC handles keyboard input and how ARAnyM handles the emulation
of the Atari keyboard using the SDL scancodes.

I had a bit of a look at this, it seems that the scancodes are supposed to be based on USB HID, and passed in "verbatim" from whatever display driver is running.  So the X11 and Win32 SDL drivers, for example, all pass scancodes straight into SDL.  I'm having trouble finding the USB-IF document for this, as SDL's documentation only references a very vague part of the USB-IF website.

[ lots of info ]
>I hope this helps you.

This sure helps me. The one most important point I can get from
this is: it still works as it used to work for you 3 years ago
and you don’t seem to “not want to have to do anything with it
any more”.

The two things I was using it for I am no longer, and I've moved on to work on other things.  I would have liked for it to land upstream into SDL, but sadly as my priorities differed from those of SDL's developers, it didn't work out that way.

I've had a few emails over those years asking some questions, which I've responded to with similar verbosity.  I give people who ask questions lots of information.  At worst it'll end up in a mailing list archive somewhere, get indexed by a search engine, and help someone out in three years. :-)

As a bonus I think I found the source of some memory leaks, and I've also made it listen on a particular interface and implement IPv6 support properly now that libvncserver 0.9.9 does.  That's in the git repository: https://github.com/micolous/sdl.git.  It looks like that at the moment GitHub are having some service problems, but it appears that my push worked, so should show up after that is resolved.