Re: ice, segfault, ...

Christian T. Steigies dixit:

>kullervo is still experiencing spurious segfaults and ICEs, and I still
>don't see what causes them. I noticed this again when it was building

SIGBUS too (see mksh build logs).

>to build, the more probable it is to fail, and no, it is not an increase in
>cosmic rays, I measure that, everything is calm at the moment.

Oh…

>Can we be sure that packages that build fine are actually ok, or may there
>be hidden problems in them? After all, I do not test every package that

There may be hidden problems in them, but the chance of that happening
is much much lower than the chance that they’re fine; most of these
exceptions would happen at packaging or test time, or produce an ICE,
and so cause a build to fail.

So I’d not explicitly worry about every package kullervo has built to
date, just keep this in the back of the head.

Ingo Jürgensmann dixit:

> usually this mainly applies when powering the machine off/on again. And I doubt
> that all real hardware buildds suddenly suffer from the same problem while
> there's no such problem when running under etch-m68k.

Of course! Different workloads cause different failure patterns to
emerge. Linux 3.2 has a much much higher strain on any hardware than
Linux 2.0 did. Or than Windows® 3.x did, for that matter, or OS/2.
I know of systems not capable of running any UNIX®-ish system that
run even Windows® 98 stable-ly(!).

bye,
//mirabilos (who doesn’t run that beast himself)
--
Sorry,  I’m annoyed today and you came by as an Arch user. These are the
perfect victims for any crime against humanity, like  systemd,  feminism