Re: About gcc builtin atomics

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Thorsten Glaser <tg@mirbsd.de> wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:
>
>>Even if they're fixed on ARAnyM, this doesn't fix the CAS problems on several
>>instantations of real hardware....
>
> Right. That’s why we use the syscall always. OK.
> (On Linux, but not on e.g. FreeMiNT.)

FreeMiNT on which hardware?

arch/m68k/Kconfig.cpu has:

config RMW_INSNS
    bool "Use read-modify-write instructions"
    depends on ADVANCED
    ---help---
      This allows to use certain instructions that work with indivisible
      read-modify-write bus cycles. While this is faster than the
      workaround of disabling interrupts, it can conflict with DMA
      ( = direct memory access) on many Amiga systems, and it is also said
      to destabilize other machines. It is very likely that this will
      cause serious problems on any Amiga or Atari Medusa if set. The only
      configuration where it should work are 68030-based Ataris, where it
      apparently improves performance. But you've been warned! Unless you
      really know what you are doing, say N. Try Y only if you're quite
      adventurous.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds