Re: Atari TT

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> Alan Hourihane dixit:
>
> >The TT has 4MB STRAM and 128MB TT RAM.
>             ^^^^^^^^^
>
> The kernel, framebuffer, several I/O buffers, and probably
> the ramdisc and what?s left from TOS/GEM before Linux takes
> over all has to fit into it.
>
> I can verify that Linux 2.6.39 and 3.0 do NOT boot with only
> 4 MiB of ST-RAM.

I booted Linux 3.1-rc5 with a BusyBox initramfs on a 4 MB PowerBook
recently. I had to create minimal configs for both, but it did indeed boot
to a shell prompt.

The kernel (with initramfs) was loaded by Pengiun within the free RAM
availble under System 7 so I imagine this scenario isn't much different to
the TOS/GEM scenario but I have no experience with Atari hardware. YMMV.

Finn