Re: [buildd] Action plan to get buildds getting online again

Michael Schmitz dixit:

>On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 10:23:36PM +0100, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:

>> From the current point of view, I think it's too early to think of
>> re-inclusion in Debian. Maybe we can manage to follow unstable and

Right, that was my original plan, to have that in place for wheezy+1,
but…

>That's the best I'd hope for. And it will take quite a few people to
>step up and take care of a buildd system to pull off.

… that one is true here.

>> keep up with it and manage it somehow to get the stable version as
>> well built so that we can offer a stable distri to our users instead

Maybe we can do a jessie-m68k like etch-m68k, basically a stabilised
snapshot of unstable at that time (hand-picked, with edos-debcheck,
to ensure installability)?

We can’t do the normal release process, as that needs a testing
distribution, which isn’t done in Debian-Ports, and we cannot
normally just rebuild stable because
ⓐ we often need patched packages (not that big a problem, we could
  just override these with packages from m68k-unstable/-unreleased
  or apply them to the stable versions, this is actually quite
  manageable, but best done outside of Debian-Ports too)
ⓑ how would you go building them, considering we've got only
  unstable right now? Building a stable release from unstable
  is bound to introduce dependencies on newer packages than
  were in a stable release.
That’s why I think this isn’t as easy as it sounds. (Besides, I’m
running unstable on my laptop at work. Especially during the freeze,
it’s very agreeable.)

But right now, let’s not talk about releases. Let’s build unstable.
To quote Theo: Shut up and hack^Wbuild! I don’t want to see any more
blahblah about building (without any actual building going on) here
before http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/graph2-week-big.png has
the blue graph overtake the pink one ;-)

That being said, this is what you should do (after gpg-verifying
this message):

somebox$ sudo apt-key add - <<'EOF'
EOF
somebox$ sudo sh -c 'echo deb http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/dp cross main >>/etc/apt/sources.list'
	# note I choose the "cross" repo because it does not contain
	# any packages that would replace your normal debian packages
	# during a dist-upgrade, unlike some others of mine
somebox$ sudo apt-get update
somebox$ sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends wtf-debian-keyring
	# now you can do, for example
somebox$ sudo cowbuilder --create --mirror http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/dp \
    --distribution sid --debootstrap debootstrap \
    --debootstrapopts --keyring=/usr/share/keyrings/wtf-debian-keyring.gpg \
    --debootstrapopts --variant=buildd \
    --debootstrapopts --include=apt,wtf-debian-keyring,debian-ports-archive-keyring
	# or this (even with https); omit "--variant=buildd" to get
	# a regular debian installation
somebox$ sudo debootstrap --variant=buildd \
    --include=apt,wtf-debian-keyring,debian-ports-archive-keyring \
    sid /target http://www.freewrt.org/~tg/dp
	# now go read https://www.freewrt.org/~tg/sources.txt

bye,
//mirabilos
- --
"Write more code."		"You have no idea how fucked we are"
"Make more commits."		"Stop slacking you lazy bum!"
"optimism in man kind does not belong here"
						-- src/usr.bin/mg/theo.c