Re: Amiga A3000 booting latest kernel

heymanj@bellsouth.net dixit:

>amiboot-5.6 -k vmlinux-3.2.0-2-amiga "root=/dev/sda4 video=pal-lace devtmpfs.mount=1"
                      ^

Is it possible that Ingo decompressed the kernel image before
booting it, while you’re trying to do that in-place?

>I would upgrade my machine to something subequent to etch - but don't
>know how to do so via network, and I'm not debian literate too boot.

I’m fairly certain trying to upgrade from etch-m68k to sid in anything
other than a, no scratch that, even a minimal chroot would involve
Greater Debian Hackery Skills.

>Pointers to purchasable install cds would be appreciated (if they exist).
>or a HOWTO on network install.

There’s nothing (especially as I didn’t manage yet to get a monolithic
d-i built, and regular d-i is not very usable as the target is moving
too fast). You basically use a system you already have to put either
a minimal chroot¹ or filesystem²³ on your disc, which you can then
boot into. Possibly using NFS or my initrd⁴, which though is lacking
almost everything other than klibc-utils and a sane shell.

① http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/base.cow-m68k-20120420.tgz mirror
② http://people.debian.org/~tg/f/m68k/Ara2012D.txz or a mirror thereof
③ thread around http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2012/04/msg00038.htmlhttps://pfau.mirbsd.org/~tg/pub/mirnitrd

For the three files, append .sig to get a detached PGP signature you
can check integrity with (against transport errors).

Finn’s method³ is probably the easiest for you right now. Also, if you
can figure out klibc-utils’ ifconfig utility, the initrd might work
for you, but it’s probably less error-prone to just temporarily put
your Amiga’s HDD into another box running Linux and place the ext4fs
extracted with Finn’s method (and resized) onto it from there.

Maybe one of us should have a look into getting a proper rescue system
into initramfs size (adding ld.so+libc.so.6, a statically (except libc)
linked mke2fs, partitioning tools, etc), I’m not too familiar with the
GNU/Linux ecosystem so I’d probably miss something. When redoing this
initramfs, use mine⁴ as basis but use more recent klibc-utils (2.0-2 is
a very good choice) and /bin/mksh-static from latest mksh, but keep the
skeleton probably (or put a proper init on it).

gl hf
//mirabilos
--
13:37⎜«Natureshadow» Deep inside, I hate mirabilos. I mean, he's a good
guy. But he's always right! In every fsckin' situation, he's right. Even