Re: The future of an SCC that has been given up on

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 02:29:28PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Michael Schmitz dixit:
> >Even then - I have maxed out my Falcon with 512 MB RAM
> >and that won't nearly be enough for a modern desktop system.
>
> My laptop’s not got much more. (But then, my modern desktop
> system usually comprises of evilwm or icewm, some xterms,
> GNU screen, sirc, lynx, pine, ssh, and the occasional GUI
> webbrowser if really needed.)

My desktop at work is an old Intel P4 system with 640MB of RAM
and I never notice it swapping even with firefox running with
multiple tabs. That's an up-to-date stable Debian system.

I'll also note that most m68k systems max out at less than
512MB. I think many of the Macs top out at 128MB.

> Finn Thain dixit:
>
> >Yet you can buy new FPGA hardware and run a soft-core 68020! That kind of
> >new hardware is easy to find.
>
> How fast would that be? Are there sort-of off-the-shelf solutions
> with that, i.e. adding support peripherals (keyboard and graphics
> or serial console, network, disc/compactflash)?

The best I can find on OpenCores is a 68000. Still, that project claims
they can run the equivalent of a 20MHz 68000 on current FPGAs, and it
looks like it should be compatible with many of the peripheral devices
which are also available from OpenCores. It looks like there is also
an "Amiga on a chip" project there as well, but that's the original
Amiga rather than one modern enough to run regular Linux.

Using modern peripherals might be a better help than a faster CPU.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com