Re: Mac 840AV

On Mon, 14 May 2012, Kurt Mahan wrote:

> Is there an installer, build, or set of instructions for running a
> recent version of Linux/Debian on a Mac 840AV?

I don't know about installers, but there are builds.

debootstrap is one way to get a root filesystem (it worked last time I
tried it). But it's probably unneccessary since the packages may not be a
lot newer than the filesystem that Thorsten recently made available:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2012/04/msg00032.html

If you want to try it out, you need to convert it and copy it onto a SCSI
partition. http://lists.debian.org/debian-68k/2012/04/msg00038.html

If you want to boot from network storage instead of SCSI, mounting the
filesystem image on an NFS server and exporting it to the Quadra is
another possibility. ATA over Ethernet is a better option.

In anycase, you would need a suitable kernel binary, which I can build for
you if you want to attempt an installation.

Finn