Re: multilib

On Sun, Jul 03, 2011 at 03:09:40AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> That depends on what different (optimised, or incompatible)
> library versions you {want,absolutely must have} lying around…
>
> I don’t have a strong opinion either way. It adds complexity,
> but may be worth it in some cases (like OpenSSL really benefits
> from -march=v8 on sparc if it’s known you don’t have a v7 CPU).
> It also might (question to the porters, again) help with the
> m68k/coldfire dual port. Or maybe not, in which case it still
> was better to ask than not…

I have no idea what has been already implemented or changed, but
yes - ssh, ssl and pgp need different libraries at least for
68020-40 and the 68060 to use the hardware efficiently.
The speed difference can be quite dramatic, I think (hope)
openssh compilation flags were changed to avoid the wrost hit.

Not quite sure how much of the heavy maths these programs do is
inlined.. possibly we would need separate binaries of the programs
as well but do not think so.

Richard

---
Name and OpenPGP keys available from pgp key servers