Re: gcc-4.6

Finn Thain dixit:

>On Fri, 28 Oct 2011, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>
>> Also, did anyone _test_ it, beyond what a bootstrap does?
>
>A year ago I used the 4.6 branch in the form of a cross compiler (C and
>C++, no GCJ). I didn't bootstrap it and I didn't test it much.

Mh. I meant the packages uploaded to Debian unstable, though.

>Seems to me that if some portion of the archive can't be built and if

I think the archive _can_ now be built. I’m trying to set up an
ARAnyM buildd (like the zlin* machines used to be), and others
are (hopefully still) trying to resurrect the real iron ones.
It’s just a matter of time.

>switching compilers won't significantly reduce that portion, then that
>time and effort may be better spent on other issues.

I think it’s the other way round – keeping with gcc-4.4 gets us
problems (I’ve seen some) because everyone else, except Alpha,
uses gcc-4.6 by now. (And possibly hppa.)

On the other hand, gcc-4.4 with all the current patches applied
_has_ proven solid. The kernel builds also still use it, but to
switch the default userspace compiler might be possible (pending
the gcj issue, Debian #633754, PR49847).

>IMHO changing the default compiler should be deferred until gcc 4.4
>becomes a problem.

I don’t really have an opinion either way, I just wanted to point
out that the porter team should make a decision (which of course
wouldn’t imply it can’t be changed), also in the light of the up-
coming gnat-4.6 patch. I just don’t want m68k to start lagging
behind again, after all the work. After all, I won’t stay with
this port forever.

bye,
//mirabilos
existence.		-- Coywolf Qi Hunt