Re: d-i built (but not tested)

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:48:31PM +1000, Finn Thain wrote:

> Hi Wouter,
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2011, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I spent some time fighting with d-i, and have eventually come up with a
> > successful build:
>
> Thanks for doing this.

You're welcome. Thanks for testing; I hadn't found the time myself yet
(but this should happen soon, I hope).

> > http://people.debian.org/~wouter/di-m68k/
> >
> > It's not been tested, however; people willing to do that would be most
> > welcome.
>
> First thing I found was that the mac kernel has the serial console
> disabled. Is that normal for di kernels?

d-i kernels are no different from 'regular' kernels (they're repacked,
but not recompiled). If the serial console doesn't work from d-i, it
won't work from the installed system, either--unless the serial driver
is compiled as a module or some such and not packaged for d-i, but I
doubt that's the case.

> My first boot attempt wasn't very successful -- my powerbook switches
> itself off after the kernel logs this:
> Trying to unpack rootfs image as initramfs...
>
> I'm sure I have seen powerbooks do this before. Too long ago to recall the
> details though. The only remedy I could think of was the ramdisk_size
> kernel argument but it didn't help. This bug also affects the mainline
> kernel, BTW.

ramdisk_size helps for actual ramdisks, but not for an initramfs (an
initramfs is dynamic in size, and only uses as much memory as it needs
to).

> As a workaround, I converted the initrd from cpio to ext2 image.

And then it worked? Weird.

> Next I ran into the mac_scsi bug (which also affects the mainline kernel),
> so I built a 2.6.39 kernel with serial console, ATAoE and no mac_scsi.
>
> This got me to the installer (in low memory mode as this is only a 36 MB
> machine).

Great.

> The syslog below is for the cdrom installer. I also tried nativehd and
> hd-media; everything seems to work (serial console and fb console) up to
> the point that an ISO is required.

Hrm.

I was under the impression that we had at least one flavour which would
allow you to install by downloading stuff from the internet, as in the
netboot option, without requiring the use of a local ISO, but I'm not
sure which variant that would be.

Stephen? Do you have any idea? Or am I just dreaming here?

> > Note that unstable is very much incomplete currently. You should be able
> > to install a very basic base system with this, but I can't guarantee
> > much beyond that. Hopefully with these installer images (if they work),
> > we'll be more easily able to resurrect some buildd hosts and fix that
> > problem.
>
> Is there an ISO image -- or some way to install without one (besides
> debootstrap)?

In theory, the installer should allow you to install from the Internet,
if you can select the debian-ports.org mirror -- but like I said, I'm
not sure.

At any rate, this:

[...]
> Aug 11 12:50:33 main-menu[494]: INFO: Menu item 'load-cdrom' selected
> Aug 11 12:50:35 anna[623]: grep: /cdrom/dists/stable/Release: No such file or directory
> Aug 11 12:50:35 cdrom-retriever: error: No components listed in /cdrom/dists/stable/Release.
[...]
> Aug 11 12:50:45 anna[623]: WARNING **: bad d-i Packages file

... is promising. It finds no Packages file, but that's expected, as
there isn't any; but the fact that we even get this far (after some
prodding) is good.

the following formula:

pi zz a