Re: gcc 4.5 and TLS

Geert Uytterhoeven dixit:

>In the past, there's been discussions about changing the alignment of
>32-bit quantities
>to 4 bytes (as on most other architectures) and reserving a register for TLS
>at the same time, as both break the ABI.

Ah, ok, sounds possible then. So, the question is whether it would
be preferable to align *all* 32-bit dwords to 4 bytes or just these
which need it. Simplicity/reliability vs. memory usage…

I wonder what the effects would be on typical things, say the libc,
/bin/date, a shell, maybe libperl, and something using TLS.

Groeten terug,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of