Re: 256Mb + On your amiga

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 16:28, Jakob Eriksson <jakob@vmlinux.org> wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 02:53 PM, Ingo Jürgensmann wrote:
>> Well, FastRam in Zorro Slot is not really fast. The FastLaneZ3 disk
>> controller featured 256 MB PC-SIMMs as well, but you'll get just 12 MB/s
>> throughput. That's slow when compared to >50 MB/s on the accel boards like
>> Cyberstorm and such.

Was that with an A3640?
I don't get more than 12 MB/s to the motherboard RAM on my A4000/040 anyway.

> You can always create a RAM-disk from all the Zorro mem and put swap
> there. This was used on x86 Linux by some (me) with chipsets (think AMD
> K6) which did not cache more than 128 meg of RAM.

So with an A3640, it would be as fast as mother board RAM.
Hence there's no reason to use it as a RAM disk.
Assumed the ZorRAM supports Read-Modify-Write, of course.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds