Re: bogl: don't know screen type 1

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, mike wrote:

> I tried to boot 2.6.29 or whatever... It was so slow compared to 2.4 i
> donno what to say, except its crap. Not a surprise if gcc produces
> crappier and crappier 68k binaries anyway. Why the hell isnt freescale
> on top of this? Fuck damn they should be on top of this and the 68050/70
> the natami is trying out, and bloody include talent like Carl S and Dave
> H that know what the heck the 68k, electronics, and the amiga is
> about....

For what it's worth - my m68k systems runs current linux kernel, 2.6.30,
compiled with gcc 4.2.4 just fine, and I have not see any slow-down, apart
from obvious things in bootup, like initiating udev, creating nodes and
similar things that have nothing to do with kernel itself. I also make
sure to compile my kernels with only the modules that makes sense for the
hardware I run it on.

My systems are one A1200 with Blizzard 1230III (030+882@50MHz) and 32MB
RAM, one A1200 with Blizzard 1260 (060@50MHz) and 64MB RAM, and one Mac
Quadra 910 (040@25MHz) with 64MB RAM. Oh and my build box, Aranym with a
040@100-180MHz depending on host at bootup, and for the time being, 256MB
RAM (allthough, it is down ATM, fixing filesystem disaster after I somehow
managed to launch aranym twice on same disk image :P)

The A1200 with Blizz1230III has been running more or less non-stop since
1997 with only a break now and then when moving between locations, being
installed into new tower solutions, and infrequent kernel updates,

I dont use debian though, I use gentoo since it gives me a tool (portage)
to build packages the way I want them, stripped where needed, bloated for
the things I care about. Almost everything is buildt -Os.

So, in the end, I'm not so sure that what you complain about is for real.

-- kolla