Re: status of Q950

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 10:51:12PM +0200, Riccardo wrote:
> >>IN nay case thanks for keeping up the good work! My next tests will be
> >>on the IIfx.
> >
> >I'd be interested to hear how it runs on that machine. I don't have
> >one so
> >I've never been able to test it.
>
> It boots; albeit quite slowly. A prompt comes up!

The SCSI performance on the IIfx is terrible at the moment since it's
using PIO mode only (1 byte per transfer). We never got the DMA working,
and the PDMA code doesn't work either. If we get the DMA working we
should be able to max out any single disk from the time period, but I
had trouble with it when I tried. I could get the DMA engine started
up and it would transfer data, but I couldn't get the end of transfer
interrupts working. That made it less than useful. Apple ran this chip
in PDMA mode in regular MacOS and supposedly used the real DMA in A/UX.
The PDMA mode works a little different on the IIfx compared to other
macs with an NCR5380 chip.

> As soon as I try to telnet into the machine, it dies, the ethernet
> driver gives up.
>
> trigger_send() called with the transmitter busy.
>
> I am pretty sure I had this problems months ago and thus gave
> temporarily the IIfx up. But I couldn't find my old mail.

What type of ethernet card are you using? I believe there was a bug
in the 8390 driver that got fixed. A newer kernel may work.

I have a IIfx and did some of the initial work along with JMT to get
it running, but it's not in such great shape now. It was pretty
unreliable the last time I had it running.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com