Re: kullervo up again

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 10:51:30AM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 08:39:15PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>
> > > The reasons for it's downtime are unclear except that it didn't find its
> > > boot disk anymore. Anyway, it's back! :)
> > Well, sometimes it takes a bit of shaking things up to get it back to working
> > state - but we should perhaps look into booting off a different disk. I know
> > Christian tried - are there known issues with large disks and booting that
> > you're aware of?
>
> Yes, most AmigaOS versions (Kickstart) are not aware of partitions beyond
> the 4 GB barrier. As long as the boot partition stays within the first 4 GB,
> everything should work fine.
> But I think it would be more safe to use a small 1-4 GB disk for that
> purpose.
> Anyway, we've made a diskimage backup of the AmigaOS partition as well...

The new disks in crest and kullervo did both boot on my Amiga2000/B2060, but
they did not boot in crest or kullervo. There must be a difference between
the SCSI controllers and large disks. The main problem I had with the large
disks was the partitioning, my AmigaDOS tool could not handle large disks
well, I had to type in sector numbers to at least create one or two amiga
partitions, the rest was done in Linux.

For my Amiga I just bought a flash-IDE converter (one for CF, one for SD)
and a 4GB flash card for them. This should show up as a regular IDE disk on
the machine, which I hope can be partitioned and made bootable, and maybe
even used as Linux root partition. And can be backed up easily, and, in the
case of the CF card, can be exchanged quickly without opening the case.
After christmas I might have some time to play with this, I will let you
know how it goes. That could be the new boot disk for crest and kullervo, if
they can boot from IDE.

Christian