Re: debian kernel svn shortcuts

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 08:51:46AM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> I put these on http://wiki.debian.org/M68k/Kernel also.
>
> sid is currently 2.6.26 and will be the kernel for lenny.
> trunk is targeted at experimental and is 2.6.27, atm.
>
> series files do move around sometimes, depending on when the
> patches get put into the system.
>
>  * sid patches: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/sid/linux-2.6/debian/patches/bugfix/m68k/
>  * sid series: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/sid/linux-2.6/debian/patches/series/1-extra
>  * trunk patches: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/patches/bugfix/m68k/
>  * trunk series: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/kernel/dists/trunk/linux-2.6/debian/patches/series/1~experimental.1-extra
>
> If I'm going to keep doing this, maybe ya'll can help. :)

The infamous 133-arch.diff is in both sid and trunk, maybe they should not
be in there at all? Somebody might add it to the series by mistake.

Sometimes the other kernel maintainers want to help by copying over the
patches from an older version, which then do not apply anymore to a new
version. It is difficult to get rid of them then, but I see you still use
a subdirectory for every kernel version. Many patches will be duplicates,
but sometimes there are subtle changes, preventing patches from being
applied in a new version. Using subdirectories should fix this, if you have
a lot of time, you could check the patches for differences before commiting
them to a new subdirectory. I usually committed them for every version and
it worked very well for me. So everything is in good shape, you don't need
my help (its a lot of patches, though...).

Christian