Re: m68k netinst cd's

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, Stephen R Marenka wrote:

> Both images use lenny d-i. The etch-m68k one installs etch-m68k. The
> sid one might install sid. I haven't added the appropriate locales yet
> for sid, so who knows.

I tried the etch installer on my quadra 630 today (debian mirror at
ftp.debian-ports.org).

It went well up to the "configure the package manager" step. A couple of
times it hung until I killed the stuck process. I looked into it and found
that apt-setup-verify passes the --dlwaypoint option which causes a
debconf-apt-progress child in the etch chroot to stall. I edited out
"--dlwaypoint 100" and re-ran the step. I think it tried to upgrade
source.list to sid. It complained about a missing public key with which to
verify the sid Release file.

After that, the "select and install software" step fails too, because
aptitude in the etch chroot doesn't seem to understand "safe-upgrade". So
I basically ended up doing "finish installation" at this point.

I also found that, on the initrd, busybox seems to have a bug. If you
switch to a shell prompt and run ip/wget/tar with incorrect options or no
options they all segfault. But they work fine when you pass correct
arguments.

In the end, I have a bootable etch system, so the installer is 99%
working.

Only apt-get update says 404 not found for
http://ftp.debian-ports.org/debian/dists/etch/main/binary-m68k/{Packages.gz,Sources.gz}
and craps out... not sure why.

Finn