Re: Bootable Debian install CD-ROM for Mac 68k

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 12:31:49AM +0200, Laurent Vivier wrote:

> Le 24 oct. 06 à 09:47, Laurent Vivier a écrit :
>
>> Brad Boyer wrote:
>>>
>>> Based on a look at the Driver technote from Apple, it looks like the
>>> driver from the disk is used to access disk blocks in the ROM code,
>>> so
>>> you need a full driver to be able to use the disk. Although you could
>>> leave out the write support in this case, I presume.
>>
>> I agree.
>> The good thing: I think what is preventing to booting from a non-Apple
>> drive is
>> in the driver. So, by writing a driver, I can boot from my Yamaha CD-
>> RW drive
>> and use a CD-RW to develop the driver.
>

> I've a bootable CD without Apple copyrighted materials (all free !!!)

Woo hoo!

> but it cannot boot from non-apple drive.

Still great progress!

> it is here :
>
> http://vivierlaurent.free.fr/debian-50-m68k-NETINST-1_emile-1.iso
>
> The disk content is from:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/m68k/cds/daily/debian-50-m68k-NETINST-1.iso
>
> And it is only bootable, but cannot install debian because it doesn't
> find the bits for testing/m68k.
> (Stephen: where can I find them ?)

We're (okay, actually Michael Casadevall) is working on lenny for m68k.

Meanwhile, if it boots, you should be able to install etch-m68k by
putting suite=etch-m68k on the kernel arg line.

Great stuff!

> in the TODO list:
>
> - switch to 32bit mode on boot
> - detect the CDROM SCSI ID (currently if it is fixed to 3).
>
> The sources are not in the CVS tree for the moment (coming soon...).

You do great stuff. We've got to get it into d-i. Mea Culpa!

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>