Re: [buildd] wanna-build

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 12:05:19AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Another week passes and we still don't have wanna-build access.

>> * move to debian-ports
>>  * already hosting kfreebsd and hurd
>>  * already have support for incoming
>>  * gave me access to buildd_m68k as well as my own account
>>    on the machine (I was playing with a possible etch-m68k
>>    w-b there.)
>>  * seem responsive
>>  * I haven't contacted them about this yet
>
> No idea how easy this would be to set up, bit what's the basic difference
> between -ports and host our own?

Should be very easy for them, they already support to other archs and
answered me about etch-m68k the same day or so.

>> * host our own
>
> Looks like we'll have to do that, in the interim. How we keep the
> databases more or less synchronized with the main one is what I'm not
> clear about. Just pick up new needs-build state changes from the main
> database, and handle everything else (failed, dep-wait, uploaded,
> installed) locally? Except for installed that might be not too hard to
> do.

It's actually a fair amount of work if you want to include incoming
support (which debian-ports already has).

>> * continue on at b.d.o
>>  * I grow weary :)
>
> We'll have to make an effort, though. Shall I set up a weekly cronjob?

To do what?

>> * contact leader@
>
> Definitely. I see this as the cabal dragging their feet, hoping we just
> go away. Seems to be the Debian Way these days.

Sadly.

>> Issues:
>>
>> * The main issue I see with moving is the perception that we will or
>>  should lose ArchQualification and get dropped from sid. (Maybe we
>>  should, but that should be a separate conversation.)
>
> What else can we be dropped from? Seriously - the project needs to take a
> decision on whether it would like to keep boasting about supporting the
> widest range of architectures possible, and then deliver on that
> commitment, or revert back to just another intel-only distribution (and
> please shut up about portability).

Preaching to the choir ... brother!

>> * Coordinating with debian-release so that give-backs and dep-waits get
>>  set in the new db.
>
> Give-back gets set in our own db because our buildds talk to it directly.
> Resetting dep-waits to needs-build should be part of the logic of the
> database server, no?
> Coordinating with -release ...I clearly remember the help and advice I
> got when asking about ways to run testing-m68k. Thanks, but no thanks.

They set global dep-waits and give-backs. They actually do a fair amount
of work for us already, we just need to make sure they're using the new
w-b if we move. I don't really think it's a huge issue. (fwiw, I think
ftpmaster is who messed us up the most, but that doesn't matter now.)

>> * Coordinating with buildd-team to preserve as much status as possible
>>  during the transition, then deleting the old db afterwards. (Which
>>  would be more work that fixing the current access, I should think.)
>
> Coordinating with buildd-team - funny notion indeed. Why would they care,
> if they are unwilling or unable to act on the initial request, evidently?
>
> Why sell it as a 'move', anyway? We're just getting a backup system in
> place, for as long as the buildd team takes to retrieve their head from
> whatever dark place they stuck it. With their established track record in
> handling buildd access for m68k, that cannot be taken as moving away from
> Debian?
>
> Has there _any_ answer been forthcoming from buildd-team at all? Any
> indication that someone read your mails?

Yes, Ryan responded once with a request for the actual keys, but that
was it. No replies after that (his mailed bounced a few times though).

> Sorry, but the only practical solution that I see is running our own
> backup database, and keep bugging b.d.o in the vain hope that someone,
> sometime, will listen.

My preferred solution is to try to move to debian-ports, mainly because
it's already debugged and working.

Any other buildd guys with opinions? ;)

Peace,

Stephen