Re: kernel

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Petr Stehlik wrote:

> Why does something under Linux need to know about the simulated PTBL? That's
> what I am missing. The host partitions (or partition image files) will appear
> as /dev/sd[a-g]1 under Linux-m68k automagically. Linux-m68k recognizes the
> simulated PTBL so everything will work out-of-the-box, transparently,
> automagically...

Damn, I somehow missed the connection to the Atari partition table
support...

> > Please tell me just a single clear advantage I would have that this _adds_
> > to Linux?
>
> as said above, the disk space is a partition for both the host and the system
> running inside of ARAnyM. This is 1:1 mapping, it just makes sense and allows
> formatting and mounting the disk space from both host and guest equally.
> Adding an extra layer of partitions inside of ARAnyM would break the
> possibility of easy mounting of the disk image from the host.

No, it wouldn't. You can easily mount filesystem images as complete block
devices under Linux/Aranym, there is no need for a synthetic partition
table. Forcing it OTOH means it prevents me from creating my own
partitions.

> So to answer your question, the simulated MBR and PTBL clearly adds the
> possibility of simple and easy mounting of the partition from host which is
> ideal for copying files between host and guest, for example.

My main point is still valid, it adds no value to Linux, that possibility
was there already before.

bye, Roman