Re: Please, testers of hfsprogs are needed

Hi, Michael (and others).

Thank you very much for the feedback. It seems that the Apple tools are
not exactly endian-friendly also. :-(

On Jun 14 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> On Jun 03 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>>> I'll do some non-trivial testing (as in: I have a totally messed up
>>> HFS+ filesystem that even Apple's repair disk function does not want
>>> to play with).
>>
>> I fear that this has a very low probability of working, since this *is*
>> Apple's repair disk utility, taken from the Darwin sources.
>
> Well, did the trivial testing first (i.e. tried hpfsck on my known good
> HFS+ filesystems and I get:

(...)

> *** Checking Backup Volume Header:
> Unexpected Volume signature '  ' expected 'H+'
> hpfsck: hpfsck: This is not a HFS+ volume (Unknown error 4294967295)
>

> (powerpc, 332.14-4)

Do you have access to some little-endian (ia32, x86-64 etc) architecture
to run the same test on that filesystem? BTW, does this filesystem
consist of sensitive data or is it too big?

If all is well, then I would appreciate a copy of it so that I can run
it as a test before doing uploading it to Debian the next time (I prefer
not to have a package than to have a package that might cause ill
effects).

BTW, you mentioned hpfsck. Did you actually use fsck.hfsplus (renamed)
or did you use some other tool? This got me a bit puzzled.

>> In particular, newer versions of diskdev_cmds (that's what Apple calls
>> it) are available for download from
>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/
>
> I'll check that sometime.

It seems that the newer versions were polished a little bit with just
one source for both PPC and i386.

Thanks, Rogério Brito.