Re: Internet superserver

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:44:30PM -0600, Mr. Gecko wrote:
> Ok I tried to enable it and it still would not appear when I press option
> f14 I see some info about the computer. What is Internet Superserver is it
> so you can use the internet? if it is I just might as well disable it from
> starting because I don't need internet. how would I disable it?

The program inetd listens for incoming connections. It is generally used
to run programs that perform services like in.telnetd or in.rshd. If you
aren't providing any services like that, you don't really need it. In fact,
many recent Linux distributions don't even enable inetd/xinetd by default.
Most of the more modern server software like sshd and Apache don't use
it by default anyway. If your system is purely a client, you definitely
don't need it. You could probably uninstall it if you like.

Just so you know, it's not inetd causing the INIT error message. It's
purely a coincidence that inetd is mentioned in the line before the
error.  Those error messages from init are references to programs listed
in the file /etc/inittab as being managed by init directly.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com