Re: Kernel Panic

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:39:35PM -0500, Mr. Gecko wrote:
> Hello I am trying to install linux on my Performa 630CD 68K mac and I
> am receiving a kernel panic during the disk check here is every thing
> the kernel out putted at the disk check
> Partition check:
>   hda: MAC hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0

[snip]

The kernel you are using can't read the initrd you used. The device
01:00 is /dev/ram0 (the first possible RAMDISK).

> I am a programmer so go ahead and give me task that is easiest for you
> to say with out translating it to people who does not program.
> I do not do kernel programming so I am not exactly sure what it is
> saying I am guessing that it is trying to boot the main file system as
> a virtual file system but I can't be to sure and maybe if I could find
> some thing to format the partition as ext2 that I am wanting to boot
> from.
> I am using a kernel from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=11666&package_id=13076
>  vmlinux-2.2.25-20030905.gz and I downloaded the install (initrd)  from
> http://people.debian.org/~smarenka/d-i/images-m68k/daily/hd- media/ and
> left it compressed as said in the manual
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/m68k/ch05s01.html.en#m68k-boothd-mac
> All of the links on those manuals are dead for some reason that is why
> I searched and found that other location.
> I am going to try and follow this to see what I can come up with and
> see what happens.

My guess would be that the kernel you are using is too old. I don't think
the current installer supports running on a 2.2 kernel. You probably need
one of the 2.6 kernels that have been discussed recently on the list.

The easiest thing to try is to take the mac kernel from the kernels
directory from the same place where you got the installer. Just take
the hd-media off the end of the URL and replace that with kernels. It
won't have all the latest patches, but it will be much more recent than
the one you tried.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com