Re: debootstrapping m68k-coldfire

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 06:12:53AM -0500, Michael Casadevall wrote:

> Couple of probles with N-F-Uing KDE/GNOME
> While I don't have the numbers infront of me, I won't be suprised we'd
> fall apart 90% of the archive required for release, and last I checked,
> the Desktop Environment option in taskel installed GNOME. I doubt the RMs
> will let a release fly without GNOME or KDE. I'm suggesting a CDD which

I'm not sure that's true at all. Many of the archs would benefit from
not having to build all the debian packages, particularly gnome and kde.
s390 doesn't even have an x desktop. I know they and some of the other
archs were interested in talking about this.

I believe the RMs want a real solution that doesn't set us so far apart
that it would be trouble to support us.

The real problem has been to figure out what that means and how we're
going to implement it. We need a means for tackling the dependency
thicket and figuring out what and how it can be trimmed. How to
actually break the borg into modules.

At the end of the day, we need working code to show that it can be done
reasonably. That's how we got a testing, it's how we'll move on
(if indeed we do).

I'd love to see a lightweight x desktop for m68k, but don't we already
have some of those packaged? If not, then we should. But first, we need
x working.

Peace,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>