Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 23:12:19 +0100
From: Roman Zippel <zippel@linux-m68k.org>
To: debian-68k@lists.debian.org
Cc: Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org>,
    Finn Thain <fthain@telegraphics.com.au>,
    Christian T. Steigies <cts@debian.org>,
    Ingo Juergensmann <ij@2008.bluespice.org>
Subject: Re: FOSDEM thoughts

Hi,

On Tuesday 4. March 2008, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

A hybrid port would just emit two opcodes in such a case, of course.
This will indeed degrade performance slightly.

The incompabilities are all over the place, we would be basically restricted
to a very basic instruction set and due to the floating point differences it
wouldn't even be compatible with the current ABI. I'm not overly optimistic
that a few optimized libraries would save us, e.g. scripting languages are
already slow enough right now.

bye, Roman