Re: Xorg on m68k

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > The text console is broken in 16 bpp, as atafb uses the atafb_iplan2p8*
> > drawing operations for both 8 and 16 bpp. The patch below is a first
> > step to fix this, but it doesn't work yet as the cfb_*() routines need
> > valid numbers in fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length, which is not set up by atafb.
>
> AFAIR fix->line_length was not set because encode_fix could be called
> before the video mode was actually set up. Or maybe because I could not
> figure out how to derive line_len from the hw pars.

Well, originally fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length didn't exist, and
applications just had to look at fb_var_screeninfo.xres_virtual.

Good user applications use fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length if it exists,
else they fall back to fb_var_screeninfo.xres_virtual.

> Anyway, I'll give it a shot - what I need to know is what units line_length
> will use - bytes, or pixels?

bytes.

> And should line_length be derived from xres or xres_virtual?

fb_var_screeninfo.xres_virtual (+ padding, if needed).

fb_fix_screeninfo.line_length is the number of bytes to add to move one
pixel down.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds