Re: how to install Etch, Lenny or sid?

On Sun, 3 Feb 2008, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Finn Thain wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> > > I have just tried to install Debian but I don't know how to do that.
> > > I used to be installing from CD images but I can't find any for Etch
> > > or newer. Please help...
> >
> > I used debootstrap to install into an NFS root. If you aren't using
> > NFS, it shouldn't be too hard to make this howto work for a different
> > setup.
> >
> > http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/howto-debootstrap-etch-m68k.txt
>
> > - Create root directory (or filesystem)
> >
> > mkdir /export/etch-m68k-root
> >
> > - Populate root directory
> >
> > debootstrap --arch m68k --foreign etch-m68k /export/etch-m68k-root ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/etch
>
> The scripts have been moved to /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts. I also
> used etch-m68k instead of etch. Don't know whether it really matters, as
> both etch and etch-m68k are symlinks to sid.

OK. The ubuntu 7.04 system I used didn't have etch-m68k.

> > - Provide some settings under new root directory:
> >
> > etc/resolv.conf
> > etc/hostname
> > etc/hosts
>   ^^^^^^^^^
> Fully explained below
>
> > etc/network/interfaces
>
> Make sure to use static information, as DHCP doesn't work well with NFS
> root.

OK.

> > - Create etc/hosts for the new etch-m68k host
> >
> > 127.0.0.1	localhost
> > 1.2.3.4		newhost
> >
> > - Export the root with NFS, e.g.
> >
> > $ cat /etc/exports
> > /export/etch-m68k-root  1.2.3.0/24(sync,rw,insecure,no_root_squash)
>
> Is insecure really needed?

No, it was just habit.

> Recent NFS servers need "{no_,}subtree_check".
> So I used "(sync,rw,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)".

Looks good to me, I'll change that bit too.

> And of course, reload the NFS server:
>
>     /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server reload

If the daemons are running already, I think the best way is,
exportfs -a

> Create /dev/console:
>
>     mknod dev/console  c 5 1 -m 600

I don't recall having to do that... doesn't that happen as part of the
second stage?

> > - Then run second stage debootsrap
> >
> > mount -n /proc
> > mount -n -o remount,rw /
> > export PATH
>
> You may want to enable swap, e.g.:
>
>     mknod /dev/hdaX b 3 X
>     swapon /dev/hdaX

Good point.

> > /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
> >
> > - Then finish setup
> >
> > rm -r /debootstrap
> > /sbin/shadowconfig on
> > passwd root
> > tzconfig
> > date [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]]
> >
> > - Install kernel (and/or modules) and other packages
> >
> > apt-get openssh-client openssh-server ntpdate gdm less
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install openssh-client openssh-server ntpdate gdm less

Right.

Thanks for the feedback!

-f