Re: how to install Etch, Lenny or sid?

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Finn Thain wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> > I have just tried to install Debian but I don't know how to do that. I
> > used to be installing from CD images but I can't find any for Etch or
> > newer. Please help...
>
> I used debootstrap to install into an NFS root. If you aren't using NFS,
> it shouldn't be too hard to make this howto work for a different setup.
>
> http://www.telegraphics.com.au/~fthain/howto-debootstrap-etch-m68k.txt

> - Create root directory (or filesystem)
>
> mkdir /export/etch-m68k-root
>
> - Populate root directory
>
> debootstrap --arch m68k --foreign etch-m68k /export/etch-m68k-root ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/etch

The scripts have been moved to /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts.
I also used etch-m68k instead of etch. Don't know whether it really
matters, as both etch and etch-m68k are symlinks to sid.

> - Provide some settings under new root directory:
>
> etc/resolv.conf
> etc/hostname
> etc/hosts
  ^^^^^^^^^
Fully explained below

> etc/network/interfaces

Make sure to use static information, as DHCP doesn't work well with NFS
root.

> - Create etc/hosts for the new etch-m68k host
>
> 127.0.0.1	localhost
> 1.2.3.4		newhost
>
> - Export the root with NFS, e.g.
>
> $ cat /etc/exports
> /export/etch-m68k-root  1.2.3.0/24(sync,rw,insecure,no_root_squash)

Is insecure really needed?
Recent NFS servers need "{no_,}subtree_check".
So I used "(sync,rw,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)".

And of course, reload the NFS server:

    /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server reload

Create /dev/console:

    mknod dev/console  c 5 1 -m 600

> - Then run second stage debootsrap
>
> mount -n /proc
> mount -n -o remount,rw /
> export PATH

You may want to enable swap, e.g.:

    mknod /dev/hdaX b 3 X
    swapon /dev/hdaX

> /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
>
> - Then finish setup
>
> rm -r /debootstrap
> /sbin/shadowconfig on
> passwd root
> tzconfig
> date [MMDDhhmm[[CC]YY][.ss]]
>
> - Install kernel (and/or modules) and other packages
>
> apt-get openssh-client openssh-server ntpdate gdm less

apt-get update
apt-get install openssh-client openssh-server ntpdate gdm less

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds