Re: 68k programmers reference manual

On 10/14/07, Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello Brian,
>
> Am 2007-10-10 01:08:32, schrieb Brian Morris:
> > hi, you guys
> >
> > i downloaded today from freescale some 650 page pdf file
> > it is called 68000 family programmer reference and apparently
> > combines the manuals refered to in the 680x0 user manuals.
> > (which are themselves good size technical books, i had seen
> > the 020 before and i downloaded the 040 today).
> >
> > is this the book someone could not find before ? is there difficulty
> > getting it overseas because of export restrictions ?
> ------------------------- END OF REPLIED MESSAGE -------------------------
>
> Which CPU's does your PDF cover?
> I have gotten one from the Motorola Website but ist is ony up to 68040.

yes mine too. but that was all i had until a few days ago i got a
dragonballEZ to
play with. but i really want a newer coldfire and that is definitely
not in the manual
i downloaded either.

the good thing about the particular manual i got is that it covers all
68000 to 040 in
a unified comparitive way, so replacing formerly separate documents. See below.

I would like to see official document saying what can run on coldfire.
I had read elsewhere
that 68020 was compatible but what about 040 (again see below).

> Since I have a couple of CPU's (~200, and over 1500 other chips) laying
> around which I had gotten from Motorolla when I was in some developer
> courses there...
>
> Can you send me the link to the PDF you downloaded?
> (You can even send me the PDF as PM since my Mail-Accound support 2.5 GByte)

i found the link via wikipedia reference on 68040 and a bit of backtracking.
i am sorry i did not save the link but depending on your processors you maybe
want something else anyway. well you want freescale, but there is a very large
number of documents there ...

part of the reason i only worried up to 040 is that the debian port is
really building
for the users 020 code anyway. although this unified manual might help if there
is something you can do with the 040 if you are stuck in working with the 020.
(such as when macos required for their v7.6 an 030 and for v8.0-1 and 040).

do you know enough about 68k to comment on that in regards to the
current situation ?
(or anybody)