Re: [buildd] partitioning crest (and kullervo)

On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 10:46:38AM +0200, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 09:57:34AM +0200, Christian T. Steigies wrote:
>
> > I just received one IDE-SCSI converted and a 250GB disk, which I can
> > hopefully install on crest during the weekend. How should the disk be
> > partitioned? When I have a large disk, I usually have some extra partitions,
> > ie for testing the installer. I am not sure if that will be needed for
> > crest. How about his:
> >
> > /amiga	AOS needs to go somewhere, aahz has 128MB, maybe 1GB for the installer CD?
> > 	I always have a second native partition, I tried to use it as boot
> >  	partition, maybe someday that will work. Another 128MB are enough
> > /	4GB? On PCs I use 8 or 10GB nowadays
> > /opt	4GB, just in case we want to test the installer or something
> > /home	20GB? 50?
> > /org	200 or whatever is left?
> > swap	1GB? 2, 4?
>
> Use LVM for /home and /org, so you can expand these when needed.

I am not a fan of LVM... I set up one number cruncher at work with LVM over
RAID and it lost the /home partition because of the LVM.

> I would add another partition for a small linux rescue system, let's say
> another 2-4 GB...

That would be three different root partitions? Couldn't hurt, there is
enough space.

> > When the disks works, I will get the same for kullervo. And then at least
> > /org should be copied bit for bit to the new disks, but maybe the
> > installation can be done from scratch, or should that be just copied, too?
>
> I think copying it over is sufficient. You can always clean it up afterwards.

The installation is probably from woody or earlier, I had some fun figuring
out the network stuff. I think a freshly installed system is nicer to use,
but we could do both with the extra root partitions. I assume we do not need
separate usr, var, ... partitions?

Christian