Re: working xorg.conf i promised

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007, Eugen Paiuc wrote:

> 2007/6/5, Brad Boyer <flar@allandria.com>:
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:55:42PM -0700, Brian Morris wrote:
> >

> > > there is some issue about whatever mode you boot from too, there is
> > > trouble switching if you change your mind.
> >
> > For some Mac video cards, we don't actually know how to change the
> > current resolution.
>
> and, if we use, for that, this enter point
>
>       NUBUS_RESID_VIDNAMES = 0x0041,
> 	NUBUS_RESID_VIDMODES = 0x007e

Those nubus resources allow the card to advertise its capabilities. Hence
the OS and firmware don't need to ask the driver what modes the hardware
supports. But is left up to the driver to actually exploit those modes.
Without reverse engineering Apple's drivers and video hardware, we don't
have the information to improve on the existing Linux drivers (as far as I
know).

But if you find that Linux 2.6 lacks functionality in 2.2 or in BSD,
please tell us because then (time permitting) we could feasibly improve
the drivers.

-f