Re: Hardware for Debian-68k

On Wed, 14 Mar 2007, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > > panics under load. I once also had kswapd segfault (see
> > > http://grep.be/blog/en/computer/debian/m68k/jazz_oops)
> >
> > Well, I see that you were bitten by the sonic ethernet bug in the 2.2
> > kernel,
> >
> >     Warning: kfree_skb passed an skb still on a list (from 000e4416).
> >
> > Maybe that was the root cause...
> >
> > Sonic is fixed in 2.6, but there's no mouse or keyboard on that model
> > because the IOP ADB driver isn't working (and isn't even present in
> > Christian's mac kernels because it was crashy). I plan to work on IOP ADB
> > when I get the hardware.
>
> Can we back-port the sonic fix to 2.2? (ISTR it's been about moving device
> start/stop calls around a bit; that should not depend on 2.6?)

There's a fair amount of work in testing after backporting. I'd much
rather put the effort into IOP ADB for 2.6 instead. Also, I have patches
for other drivers that work better than 2.2, so I don't want to encourage
use of the old kernel. Other than some recent nubus work, those patches
can all be found in Christian's 2.6 kernel.

Also, merging would be non-trivial, since the patch was rather large (only
partly because 2.6 was so far behind 2.2) --

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=efcce839360fb3a7b6dedeacaec80f68b0f2d052

-f