Re: emulation has fewer bugs than certain hardware

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 08:44:18AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > It is probably useful to compile things on a wide range of hardware in
> > order to look for driver and hardware problems. That said, finding
> > problems that are due to hardware failure are probably less useful. It
> > is nice to know failure modes though. I guess ideally everything would
> > get compiled on every sufficiently unique system including an emulator.
> Ideally we'd have a massively parallel cluster of Amigas, Macs and Ataris
> to do that. Right now, we'd be more than happy if additional machines
> (real or emulated) could take up some of the backlog at times. We'd need
> to prevent an emulated system attempting to build a CPU intensive package,
> and for that we'd need a build time estimate up front. Not implemented
> yet.

Hmmm, sort of...
http://unstable.buildd.net/index-m68k.html shows some rough build time
estimation for all packages in needs-build:

Needs-Build queue ETA:
12 days 18:53:30

The algorithm behind that estimation is far away from being optimal, but the
buildd.net database contains/supports a lot of data:

- names of buildds
- CPU type and speed
- RAM/disk sizes
- when was what package being built in what time
- load average over time
- memory and swap usage over time
- kernel version
- ...

Sadly, I don't have that much time to implement all details on my own, but
basically - if someone else is interested - I can provide either a login to
buildd.net or just to the database. Everyone is invited to contribute! :-)

--
Ciao...                //        Fon: 0381-2744150
      Ingo           \X/         SIP: 2744150@sipgate.de

gpg pubkey: http://www.juergensmann.de/ij/public_key.asc