Re: Future of m68k - Etch and beyond

Hi,

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:

> > > How will the m68k cope with the glibc problem for Lenny in the future?
> > > How is the Coldfire port going on?
> > I think Aranym is a better prospect than ColdFire. Without revisiting the
> > ISA differences etc, Aranym wins on availability and price.
>
> Well, the impression I got from Bills aranym tests are, that it is not much
> faster than any real m68k hardware.

Current releases waste a lot of time in the mmu emulation, CVS has
already some improvement and I'm working on to improve it a bit more.
With the CVS version I did a simple test with Linux Bogomips value, with
the improvements the value was about 3.5 times higher and on my P4 3GHz
system I get about half of the real 68060/50. The bogomips loop is running
from the icache, so it doesn't include cache misses, while for aranym it's
relativ constant.
The next big improvement would be if we had at least some simple JIT -
just decoding the instruction and then jumping to a subroutine would
already be a big step.

bye, Roman