Re: Change in package architectures list.

On 2006-12-05 09:26 +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > I believe compiling stalin with gcc now requires a bit over 1GB.
> > i.e. gcc's VSS grows to a bit over 1GB.  Ignoring any other concerns,
> > it didn't look like the arm and m68k buildds would be likely to handle
> > that very well.
> >
> > However, if the buildd admins are willing to make sure that the
> > buildds have perhaps 1.5GB total (swap included) and are willing to
> > let the build run long enough to finish, then it should be possible to
> > restore m68k and arm support.
> >
> > Would that be desirable?
>
> Given that the maximum amount of RAM on m68k is 512 MB, I doubt this is
> feasible. In particular, I would have to add a disk explicitly for swap to
> my machine, or convert a data partition (with 512 MB RAM, I get by using
> 100 MB swap easily).
>
> The pure compile time on the last arm build wasn't that outrageous -
> what's the RAM size and CPU speed of toffee?

The best arm buildds have 256MB RAM IIRC. The weedier ones 128MB
(which is increasingly inadequate for C++ stuff these days). I don't
know which toffee is. Somone who knows could usefully fill in memory
sizes on the buildd list here:
http://wiki.debian.org/armEtchReleaseRecertification

The 'hedges' machine waiting for DSA attention has 512MB. Arms with
1GB are now possible but rare. Debian will probably get one eventually
but no immediate prospect of that.

Wookey
work: http://www.aleph1.co.uk/                 play: http://wookware.org/