Atari Serial

Talk about an uphill battle, I can't figure out for the life of me which
serial ports are valid on my falcon under linux.  Most of the kernels
don't even seem to have atari_scc.o but the one I ahd does.  When I load
it nothing happens and I don't know what ports are there.  If I
cat /dev/ttyS* (any of em) I get invalid device or device not found or
something of that nature.

Any suggestions?  I'd love to get pppd installed so I can start building
up my package list and getting the system updated.

Thanks,
Mark